Is your website mobile-friendly?
In the ‘old days’ webpages to suit mobile devices were designed and built separately which means twice the work. Nowadays, we build only one version of a website and it can respond and react to suit at least 3 screen sizes. Clever!
Here’s a desktop computer browser view of a website:
And, here are two responsive or mobile-friendly website views:
You can resize your browser to check a website. If it is a mobile-friendly or responsive website, you will see that the content is automatically re-arranged to fit and you will not have to pan from side to side to read a sentence.
Note the new style Menu. When touched, it will expand to show a list of all the pages.
It is important to have a responsive mobile-friendly website
- Google is now using the mobile version of your site for indexing and ranking.
- Your website will lose out on search engine ranking if it is not responsive or mobile-friendly. So it is harder for people to find your website.
- More and more people browse using a mobile device especially when they are out of their home or office or simply for the convenience of having a portable device while away from a laptop or desktop computer.
- If your website is not responsive, it becomes either impossible or too tedious to view.
- Some non mobile-friendly or non-responsive website simply will not work on mobile devices.